From R4L Help Wiki
Configuring Outlook 98/2000 for IMAP
- We recommend using IMAP instead of POP for accessing your incoming email. Pop configurations will often delete mail from the server, making it unavailable to other devices or computers you would use to access your email. With IMAP, you can access your mail using your computer and smartphone, and keep mail syncronized between devices.
- Important note: In the description below, we use email@example.com and yourdomain.com as your email address and domain name. You need to substitute of course your real email address and domain name.
- About Secure Sockets Layer (SSL): In the instructions below, we are not enabling SSL. If you wish to connect to the incoming IMAP and outgoing SMTP server using encryption, then leave these enabled. There will not be an SSL certificate on the server to match mail.yourdomain.com or imap.yourdomain.com, so your mail program will warn you that you are connecting without a certificate. Confirm the exception when this happens.
- Launch Outlook
- Click "Tools" then "Accounts", the account window will open
- Click the "Mail" tab.
- Click the "Add" button then choose "Mail", the Internet Connection Wizard appears.
- Add your Display Name. Enter the name you want others to see in the From: field when you send E-mail, then click "Next"
- Enter your entire E-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org), then click "Next"
- Do not change the value beside "My incoming mail server is a". It should be set to IMAP.
- Input the IMAP server ahs5.R4L.com or your server name if different. Your server may have a different number than 5.
- Input the SMTP server ahs5.R4L.com or your server name if different into the "Outgoing mail server" field then click "Next". Your server may have a different number than 5.
- Type your complete Email address (email@example.com) in the "Account Name" field.
- Enter your e-mail account password and click "Next"
- Note: You can set Outlook Express to remember your password if you don't want to type it in every time you check for new messages.
- Click "Finish", the Internet Connection Wizard will close.
- The Internet Accounts window should still be open. If it is not, click "Tools" then "Accounts" to open it.
- Click the "Mail" tab, the Mail Accounts window appears
- Click on the account you just created, then click the "Properties" button.
- Click the "Servers" tab
- Check the box beside "My server requires authentication", then click the "Settings" button
- Select "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" and click "OK"
- Click "Apply", then "OK" to close the properties window. The Internet Accounts window will reappear.
- Click "OK" to exit the Internet Accounts window
That's it! Outlook 98/2000 is now configured and ready to use with your R4L email account.