From R4L Help Wiki
Configuring Outlook Express for IMAP
- We recommend using IMAP instead of POP for accessing your incoming email. Pop configurations will often delete mail from the server, making it unavailable to other devices or computers you would use to access your email. With IMAP, you can access your mail using your computer and smartphone, and keep mail syncronized between devices.
- Important note: In the description below, we use firstname.lastname@example.org and yourdomain.com as your email address and domain name. You need to substitute of course your real email address and domain name.
- About Secure Sockets Layer (SSL): In the instructions below, we are not enabling SSL. If you wish to connect to the incoming IMAP and outgoing SMTP server using encryption, then leave these enabled. There will not be an SSL certificate on the server to match mail.yourdomain.com or imap.yourdomain.com, so your mail program will warn you that you are connecting without a certificate. Confirm the exception when this happens.
- Launch Outlook Express.
- Select "Tools" then "Accounts…"
- Click on "Add" and select "Mail"
- Enter your name into the "Display Name" field and click "Next"
- Type your E-mail address in the "E-mail addrress" field and click "Next"
- Select "IMAP" from the drop down menu
- Enter mail.yourdomain.com or your server name (ahsX.R4L.com) where X is a number into the "Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server:" field
- Enter smtp.yourdomain.com or your server name (ahsX.R4L.com) where X is a number into the "Outgoing mail server (SMTP) server:" field and click "Next"
- Type your full new E-mail address into the "Account name:" field (email@example.com)
- Enter your password in the "Password:" field and click "Next"
- Click Finish.
- If the "Internet Accounts" box does not appear click "Tools" then "Accounts…"
- Select the "Mail" tab and select your account. Click on "Properties"
- Select the "Servers" tab and ensure that the "My server requires authentication" box is checked
- Click the "Settings…" button and ensure that "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is selected then click "OK"
- Your Outlook Express is now configured and ready to use.