From R4L Help Wiki
Configuring Thunderbird for IMAP
- We recommend using IMAP instead of POP for accessing your incoming email. Pop configurations will often delete mail from the server, making it unavailable to other devices or computers you would use to access your email. With IMAP, you can access your mail using your computer and smartphone, and keep mail syncronized between devices.
- Important note: In the description below, we use firstname.lastname@example.org and yourdomain.com as your email address and domain name. You need to substitute of course your real email address and domain name.
- About Secure Sockets Layer (SSL): In the instructions below, we are not enabling SSL. If you wish to connect to the incoming IMAP and outgoing SMTP server using encryption, then leave these enabled. There will not be an SSL certificate on the server to match mail.yourdomain.com or imap.yourdomain.com, so your mail program will warn you that you are connecting without a certificate. Confirm the exception when this happens.
- Launch Thunderbird and click the red link Email under the Accounts section.
- Enter in your email address, uncheck gandi.net, and click the "Skip this and use my existing email" button.
- On the Mail Account Setup window, enter in your name, email address and password. Click Continue.
- Thunderbird will connect with the email server, and populate the mail settings with not quite what you want. Click Manual Config.
- Replace the Server hostnames with ahs5.r4l.com or your server's name(the interface keeps all lowercase characters), choose SSL/TLS under SSL, and normal password under Authentication. Click Done.
- Thunderbird will test your settings, and if everyhting checks out, click your Inbox. Thunderbird will now start loading the headers of your mail.
That's it. Thunderbird is now configured and ready to use with your R4L email account.